Monday 11 April 2011

Two bullets for Snow-Hansen and Saunders on opening day in Spain


Jo Aleh and Bianca Barbarich-Bacher (NZL) in the Women's 470 on day one at Trofeo Princesa Sofia MAPFRE. Image copyright Jesus Rendeo/Princesa Sofia/MAPFRE.

by Jodie Bakewell-White

Racing is underway for the NZL Sailing Team competing in Palma de Mallorca, Spain in the Mediterranean at the third of seven events in the ISAF Sailing World Cup Series where racing runs until Friday April 8th.

The first day of the European season opener - Trofeo SAR Princess Sofia MAPFRE Regatta 2011 - was a real test for all with 25-35 knots blowing from the north. New Zealand’s Men’s 470 pair of Paul Snow-Hansen and Jason Saunders showing their fleet how it’s done in the extreme conditions kicking off the five day regatta with two wins to lead the class.

Image: Paul Snow-Hansen and Jason Saunders seen here competing earlier this year in New Zealand

Over in the Women’s 470 Jo Aleh, sailing this event with Bianca Barbarich-Bacher as crew has also started well placing second and seventh on the water to lie fourth overall in the fleet where 40 boats started.

With 121 starters in the Laser event the five kiwi entries are all lying within the top 24 of the fleet, with Andy Maloney the best placed in fourth overall. In racing today he was fourth and then second.

Tom Ashley lies 22nd in the Men’s RS:X and was candid in describing how day one was for him: - “Had a very bad day! Conditions were pretty extreme - 25-35 knots blowing from the North. I placed 34 and 12.

“In the first race I had my equipment set up horribly and just struggled to get going. Then I had a swim on the first downwind and took ages to get up and sailing again. On the second lap I managed to get moving a bit but the damage was done. The second race was better- at least I was in the race although still not in front.

“I can't wait for a chance to redeem myself tomorrow. I'm kind of hoping we get the same conditions again so I can have another run and make sure I learn my lessons from today. I haven't sailed in that much wind in ages, so after blowing the cobwebs out today I think I'll be fine for the rest of the event.”

New Zealand’s current standings after day one


Men’s RS:X (59 entries)
22nd Tom Ashley

Laser Radial (69 entries)
23rd Sara Winther

Women’s 470 (40 entries)
4th Jo Aleh and Bianca Barbarich-Bacher

Men’s 470 (74 entries)
1st Paul Snow-Hansen and Jason Saunders

Finn (66 entries)
12th Dan Slater
20th Matt Coutts

Laser (121 entries)
4th Andy Maloney
11th Andrew Murdoch
17th Josh Junior
22nd Sam Meech
24th Mike Bullot

Women’s Match Racing
Koru Match: Stephanie Hazard, Jenna Hansen and Susannah Pyatt (Group C: 2 wins/2 losses)

Coaches Mark Howard, Mark Orams, Nathan Handley, Hamish Wilcox and Dave Robertson are supporting the New Zealand sailors at Trofeo SAR Princess Sofia MAPFRE Regatta.

Yachting New Zealand
Trofeo SAR Princesa Sofia MAPFRE