Saturday 6 June 2009

VOR: Interviews with Veteran and Younger Kiwi Round-theWorld Sailors on PUMA


Erle Williams checks the sail trim on board il mostro. Image copyright Rick Deppe/PUMA Ocean Racing.


Trimmer, Justin Ferris. Image copyright Rick Deppe/PUMA Ocean Racing.

Anne Hinton caught up with two of the Kiwis on board PUMA Ocean Racing's il mostro in Galway: Erle Williams, who has spent a life on the ocean wave, and Justin Ferris, who has already raced around the world before, and is back doing it again...

Both are addicted to the offshore scene, appreciating being paid to do what they love most: go sailboat racing. Justin Ferris is straight into his next offshore programme the day after the Volvo Ocean Race ends in St Petersburg, Russia.

Erle Williams


il mostro's Trimmer/Driver Erle Williams. Image copyright Sally Collison/PUMA Ocean Racing.

AH: Erle, how many times have you raced around the world?

EW: Five times. I’ve done the race on Flyer, Swedish Match, DeJuice, Pirates and now PUMA.

AH: How old were you when you started round-the-world racing and how old are you now?

EW: I did my first race with I was 21, and am now 50.

AH: What drew you into the long distance racing?

EW: I grew up racing with my father on his boat. I did my first offshore race with him when I was 15.

AH: Why did you decide to join the PUMA crew?

EW: Because of injuries and crew rotation I was on PUMA’s bench and ready to go when Kenny gave me the call after Leg Four.

AH: What is your role on the boat?

EW: Watch Captain/Trimmer-Driver


After so many times around the world - Erle Williams still needs some sailing gloves! Image copyright Rick Deppe/PUMA Ocean Racing.

AH: What have been the best and worst experiences of this latest round-the-world sailing adventure for you to date?

EW: BEST: high speed downwind sailing; WORST: Getting becalmed and passed by other boats.

AH: Would you go around (yet) again?

EW: Yes, given the right opportunity I would definitely do another Volvo, but it has to be the right programme.

AH: What other sailing do you have planned after this 2008-9 Volvo Ocean Race?

EW: After the Volvo, I’ll go back to my job as skipper of the J-boat Ranger.

AH: Many thanks for your time, Erle.


Enjoying a Kiwi favourite! Image copyright Rick Deppe/PUMA Ocean Racing.


Justin Ferris


Justin Ferris keeps the boat moving. Image copyright Rick Deppe/PUMA Ocean Racing.

AH: Justin, how many times have you raced around the world and how old are you now?

JF: I did my first round-the-world race in 2005-2006 on board Pirates. I’m now 34.

AH: How much training did you do with il mostro before the first race of the Volvo Ocean Race 2008-9?

JF: I was with the team since May 2007, so from the very beginning.

AH: What is your role on board – and do you think it’s the best job on the boat?

JF: Trimmer and head sail maker. I like my job, but it can get tough when we rip a sail!


Justin Ferris carries out running sail repairs on board il mostro. Image copyright Rick Deppe/PUMA Ocean Racing.

AH: What is it like living with 11 men on the boat for up to weeks at a time?

JF: Most of the time, it’s great. As with situation when you spend 24/7 with the same people, it’s pretty intense, you can get on each others nerves. But at the end of the day we’re all teammates and its okay.

AH: What has been the best part of the world for the sailing – both this time and on previous round-the-world racing – for you?

JF: Drinking lots of rum!!!...just kidding, the best thing is getting to sail for a job- getting paid to do what you love.

AH: Has PUMA added a magic touch? With 2nd across the Atlantic and 1st in the In-Port race in Galway, she seems to be going well now. What accounts for this improvement?

JF: The team has just finally gelled. It’s been a long time coming, but it is a great feeling.

AH: What other sailing do you have planned after this 2008-9 Volvo Ocean Race?

JF: The day after the finish I’ll head straight out to do the Trans Pac.

AH: Thank you very much, Justin, and all the best!

PUMA Ocean Racing
Volvo Ocean Race

No comments: