Monday 15 December 2008

VOR: ERICSSON 4 LEG TWO DAY TWO QFB: received 16.11.08 1548 GMT

by David Endean

Well, here we go again. Although we have only been gone 24 hours, the Cape Town stopover seems like it must have been a dream...and a very pleasant, but short, one at that. It is always hard to leave Cape Town. The locals, the food, the Bascule Bar, and of course the families and friends.

This time however, I felt less knots in my stomach on leaving. Maybe because we are not taking the usual Southern Ocean sleigh ride to Australia, or maybe I am just better prepared on my third race than I was on my first. Or, maybe, I have no idea what this leg and the Cochin stopover could potentially hold for us.

It may not be the usual Southern Ocean leg, but we have started in typical style. A bit of funky weather under the shelter of Table Mountain, a beat down the coastline, crossing the ridge and into the westerlies. We currently have 25 knots and have averaged 21 knots for the last 3 hours or so.

I prefer this gybe on our boat. The toilet is much easier to use when it is on the leeward side. The galley is much harder to use, but you don't have your pants down in the galley, so you can deal with it.

Thanks to everyone in Cape Town who made the stopover so worthwhile, and again, thanks to our shore crew for all their work during the stop.

Ericsson Racing Team

Volvo Ocean Race

No comments: