Wednesday 10 February 2010

America's Cup: NEWSFLASH - No Start before Midday on Wednesday CET

No Race 1 start before midday Wednesday, 10th February

Image © Consorcio Valencia.

by America's Cup media

On the strength of the weather forecasts for overnight Tuesday and early Wednesday the decision has been taken that there will be no warning signal for Race 1 prior to 1154hrs on Wednesday. This applies only to Wednesday.

Harold Bennett (NZL) Principal Race Officer explained: “We have issued an amendment that there will be no signal before midday tomorrow (Wednesday).

“We will make a further assessment at 0830hrs in the morning. So we will have a look at what it is like early in the morning. We will take a check then.

“There are a lot of strong winds forecast overnight and offshore and that is going to throw up a swell. So it is more the sea-state that is going to be of concern. Until we see what the sea state is we are not going to guess.

“I don’t want to put the boats out there if they are not going to sail. I do not want to put them all the way out there and bring them back without a race.

"Talking with the weather guys from both teams they agree that this is what we are going to get, so it is a fairly easy decision to make.”

America's Cup

No comments: