Friday 10 July 2009

Finn Gold Cup: Slower day for Slater


Image copyright Vallensbæk Sailing Club.

by Jodie Bakewell-White

Dan Slater slipped from the lead after day four of the six day 2009 Finn Gold Cup World Championship on now. The kiwi is now in 6th place with one more day of qualifying races ahead of the medal race on Saturday in Denmark.

“Low and slow was the story of my day today,” says Slater. “The breeze was 17-22 knots with what has now become standard 20 degree wind shifts.”

A 12th place in the first race of the day followed by a 14th in the second race saw Slater slide to 6th overall with a seven point gap to second place. Ed Wright of Great Britain takes the lead after a top day on the water with a win and a 4th. Wright is seven points clear of countryman Giles Scott in second place.

Slater remains focussed with points close at the top of the leaderboard and two days yet to go. “Overall I have dropped to 6th but there is plenty to sail for with just two races to go before the medal race on Saturday. Order of the day tomorrow will be some good starts and clear lanes to sail my race.”

Describing race seven of the regatta Slater says, “In race one I had a really bad start and managed to get in phase with the wind shifts early in the beat and I rounded the first mark 4th.”

“Down the run I struggled and rounded the bottom mark 8th. Then as I went up the final beat I had done quite well working up the right hand side of the leading bunch till the last half of the beat when I got smoked by the guys on the left dropped back to finish 12th.”

“Race two I had another bad start and to be honest never got into the race. I was in the middle of the course with no leverage on the fleet. This time I had a better downwind but it didn’t really count for much. I ended up 14th which topped off a very frustrating and average performance.”

2009 Finn Gold Cup
Top six after eight races

1st GBR Edward Wright 44 points
2nd GBR Giles Scott 51 points
3rd CRO Ivan Kljakovic Gaspic 51 points
4th USA Zach Railey 52 points
5th DEN Jonas Høgh-Christensen 55 points
6th NZL Dan Slater 58 points

Finn Gold Cup

No comments: