Wednesday 11 November 2009

2009 ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year

Torben Grael (BRA) and Anna Tunnicliffe (USA)


The entrance of the Haedong Yunggungsa Temple. Image copyright Rolex/Daniel Forster.

by Rolex sailing media

Torben Grael received his award tonight, and in his winning speech said, “It's an honour to be here. It's not the first time I've attended this award ceremony, but it's truly a different feeling to stand here,” he said, from behind the podium. “I am very thankful, and to be here I represent not only myself but all the people who helped me run my campaigns: the sailors, my family, my parents, my wife, the company Ericsson... it's been a fantastic year and it was a fantastic [Volvo Ocean] Race. This year has made me aware of some feelings I am not used to,” said an emotional Grael as he accepted his ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Award.

“I'd like to thank Rolex for their continued support- it's great what they do for our sport,” said Anna Tunnicliffe, upon being named the female ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year. “I've had great fun competing in a variety of classes, I love doing it, and I'd like to thank my sponsors, my teams, my parents for being my managers, and my husband for always allowing me to sail.”

Regattanews.com

No comments: