Thursday 18 February 2010

Murdoch delighted to secure “The Double” for 2010

by Jodie Bakewell-White

After recently winning the 2010 Laser National Champs, 2008 Olympian Andrew Murdoch has gone on to take out the Laser class at Singapore Airlines Sail Auckland. While now a seasoned campaigner securing the at home double this year was no mean feat for Murdoch, given the talent heavy Laser fleet full of hungry young up and comers.

Here is Andrew’s report following his win at Singapore Airlines Sail Auckland...

“The completion of the Sail Auckland Regatta marks the end of the summer racing season in NZ for me, however I will still be training here until I leave for Spain mid March.”

“For day one of Sail Auckland (Thursday), we actually ended up having some reasonable wind to race in. It was a little unstable but enough to get three races in. I started off the regatta well winning the first race of the day. However I then placed 7th in the second race after making a poor tactical decision halfway through the race. I was not keen on making the same mistake again and set about turning out some consistency for the rest of the regatta. I just had to avoid big risky tactics, capitalising on small opportunities to make a gain when they presented themselves. This strategy paid off with me winning the final race of day one.”

No racing took place on day two due to a lack of consistent wind.

“Unfortunately we didn’t end up with a lot more wind day three, however it was enough to get the four races in and I had another solid day on the water coming away with an almost perfect day, winning the first three races and a 2nd in the final race of the day. At this stage I had managed to create a bit of a lead but with two races still to go the following day, one of which was the “medal race”, and the tricky sailing conditions anything was possible.”

“I started the final day well winning the “normal” race we had in the morning which gave me a nice points buffer going into the afternoon’s medal race. Basically I just needed to finish within seven boats of the guy in 2nd place overall, not too hard when there are only ten boats on the race course. I sailed conservatively in the medal race and just kept close to my nearest rival, eventually placing 7th in the race which was enough to secure the title.”

“This result combined with the national title I won a fortnight ago secures me the #1 spot in the New Zealand Team for the World Championships in September this year in Hayling Island, UK.”

“Next event from here will be my first world cup event for the year which is held in Spain end of March - Princess Sofia Regatta. The last time I attended this event in 2007 I was 2nd so will be looking to improve on that this time around! On the same trip to Europe I will be racing in the following World Cup event which is a month later in Hyeres, France.

Andrew was coached by Jez Fanstone and Mark Howard for these two regattas.

Yachting New Zealand

No comments: