Sunday 8 March 2009

VOR: GREEN DRAGON LEG FIVE DAY 23 QFB: received 08.03.09 0559 GMT


Green Dragon crew reefing on Leg 5 of the Volvo Ocean Race. Image copyright Guo Chuan/Green Dragon Racing/Volvo Ocean Race.

by Wouter Verbraak (navigator)

I am feeling completely exhausted, and find myself having to pull all my will together to get the smile on my face that keeps me going. Judging by the amount of dinner left in the pot, everybody is pretty much feeling the same. As Neal McDonald says: ‘misery loves company’.

In the back of my mind I can hear our team doctor saying: ‘You have to at least take in 5000 kJ everyday.’ Yeah right, I am forcing myself to stuff in as much as I can, but a few spoons of dinner and some muesli bars is all I can manage. Will have to rely on the fat reserves today (Unfortunately they went in leg one...).

Really, banging upwind in 25 knots is just not what these boats are made for, and certainly that holds true for humans as well. In addition, we are hardly making any miles toward Cape Horn, so I guess what my body is telling me is right; it is a pretty bad day all around.

Has the Volvo Ocean Race finally broken my spirits, you might wonder. No way! We just live a life of extremes. Today I couldn’t be happier, I am chatty, find myself making jokes and hanging out with the boys on deck, and generally go around with a big smile on my face. It is a beautiful day!

Sure out on deck it is absolute Armageddon. Big waves are rolling over the deck continuously. My eyes are red and sour from all the salt water and whilst grinding the mainsheet, I find myself non stop in knee deep water and hanging on to the grinding pedestal for dear life in the bigger waves.

What’s the difference? It is huge! Today we are charging south east directly towards the first ice gate, and there is no upwind sailing in sight for at least a week!
So I am treating my body with a double breakfast, a full lunch and dinner and all the bars, chocolate and liquorish I can get my hands on. The added bonus is that Damian (Damian Foxall/IRL) has his birthday today, so there is even a great bar of the best chocolate you can dream of going round. And believe you me; I do dream of that a lot.

Volvo Ocean Race

No comments: