Sunday 7 June 2009

VOR: GREEN DRAGON LEG EIGHT DAY 1 QFB: received 06.06.09 1652 GMT


Green Dragon, skippered by Ian Walker (GBR) at the start of leg 8 from Galway to Marstrand. Image copyright Rick Tomlinson/Volvo Ocean Race.

by Ian Walker (skipper)

When I saw the welcome we received on arriving in Galway I was speechless, but when we left two weeks later it was with tears in my eyes. I knew Galway was a great city and a city that loves to party, but never in my wildest dreams did I think Galway and Ireland would bring so much to the Volvo Ocean Race. I can only say ‘thank you’ from all of us, for such a wonderful two weeks. The harsh reality of the Volvo Ocean Race is that no sooner do we get comfortable and enjoy a town, then it is time to leave. By now we are used to the drill.

It was a spectacular start and thanks to some good crew work we had the thrill of leading at the first mark. I really think downwind starts should be encouraged at every stopover as it allows the spectators to see the boats in all their glory.

There were, once again, hundreds of spectator boats and a 'cup final' atmosphere on the water.

What fantastic memories we have of Galway Bay and I look forward to returning soon.

Thank you Ireland, thank you Galway.

Volvo Ocean Race

No comments: