Thursday 11 June 2009

VOR: PUMA LEG EIGHT DAY 5 QFB: received 10.06.09 1024 GMT


il mostro is coming in hot out of left field! The big question is will there be enough runway for us to make up a 60 to 80 mile deficit on our competition? We've been making as much as 25 miles per sched. Image copyright Rick Deppe/PUMA Ocean Racing.

by Rick Deppe

Il Mostro is coming in hot out of left field! The big question is will there be enough runway for us to make up a 60 to 80 mile deficit on our competition, we've been making as much as 25 miles per sched. We know for sure that we have way more pressure than they do in there on the Danish coast but our tracks are converging and we only have about 100 miles to the northern tip of Denmark where we make a turn and head for Marstrand. All we can do is sail as fast as possible and hope for a break.

A tough night for all on board, cold, bumpy and knowing that there is a huge deficit to make up creates for a sombre mood. The grey skies add the finishing touch to the misery.

We or maybe just myself, perhaps naively thought we were finished with this type of tough uncomfortable sailing.... big mistake, because the North Sea can be a nasty place as I'm sure many have learned over the years - its relatively shallow depth causes the waves stand up very quickly and they have a very short and aggressive aspect.

The boat is lurching from wave to wave and every now and then comes off one that makes your teeth rattle, I have a pounding headache right now from the constant pounding... a quick aside, I think I'm going soft because I've been finding this trip really tough, even succumbing to a bit of sea sickness the first day out, I never had that before. So don't read too much into my whining, I'm under no illusion about how much harder the guys have it than me, but hey we all have our jobs to do.

Volvo Ocean Race

No comments: