Tuesday 5 October 2010

WOW Cap Istanbul: A Young Mother Returning to the Sea


Jeanne Gregoire. Image copyright Jacques Vapillon/www.jacquesvapillon.com

by Marie Le Berrigaud-Perochon

After taking a year off from Figaro II Bénéteau class to experience motherhood, Jeanne Grégoire returned to the sea with passion and enthusiasm. Although eager to retrieve the memories of the past, it will take a little more time before she fully regains her skills.

During her period of absence to give birth to her child, she handed over the helm of her boat to another Figaro racer, Gildas Mahe. To pick things up where she left off after giving birth to a daughter, Jeanne Grégoire returned to the sea. Her skills had gotten a little rusty and her reflexes had lost some sensitivity. Her first race as a mother is WOW Cap Istanbul. With the first two legs behind, we asked her to evaluate her performance.

How did your reunion with Banque Populaire happen after a year's break?

One thinks, after such a long break, it won't be possible to remember anything. It was winter when I went out to sail again. It was heavily raining and very cold. I could feel my face starting to freeze. But I quickly regained my skills. But still, it will take some more time before my old abilities come back to me fully.

Many athletes who take a break return to their sport with a lot more maturity and openness to novelties. Do you share this experience?

Absolutely, yes. It's just like when we were at school. The results of learning are actually far better when you read something once and read it again 15 days later, instead of reading the same thing 15 times in a row. I can't yet say I learned new things and now I'm better. But we still have 3 more legs and 500 more miles to Istanbul. It won't be bad to win one of the short legs. It will get me a bit further at least.

Now you are a mother. You left your little daughter to leap into this challenge. Has your new situation in life changed anything in your approach to racing?

There is one thing for certain. I can't organize myself as I used to and I can't give my full attention to racing anymore. This tendency manifested itself during the preparations for the season. I used to have an incredible tempo. I would get up early in the morning to exercise, then set sail for training. When I got home in the evening I would do my evaluations and examine the weather reports til late at night.

Now I am still very busy but even taking the baby to the nanny and arranging the bedtimes take up a lot of time. Basically I have to deal with a lot of details. I still take good care of keeping the level of my productiveness up.

I try not to think about my life on land when I'm at the race. But when I get into the cabin and see my daughter's photo on my computer, then my mind sways sometimes. A little voice inside asks, "What are you doing there?” But at the same time it gives me strength to see her face.

How about the thrill of sailling? Is it still there?

It is quite interesting. I noticed I haven't missed sailing at all during the whole year. But when I returned I was shocked at myself to have left the sea for so long. And that's a very nice feeling. I miss my little daughter a lot. It is delightful to know who's waiting for me at the end of Solo Figaro this year.

WOW Cap Istanbul